Turkey’s exports increased by 46.9% in June 2021 compared to the same period in 2020 (against only 15.7% year-on-year in June 2020).
These exports totalled $19.8 billion, according to figures from the Turkish Exporters’ Assembly (TIM) (compared to $13.5 billion in 2020).
These monthly exports went to Germany, the United States, Italy, the Netherlands, Romania, Bulgaria, Canada, the Czech Republic, Austria, Serbia, Mexico, Kyrgyzstan, Senegal, Colombia, Kosovo, Djibouti, the Ivory Coast, the Dominican Republic and Paraguay.
Historic performance of the city of Istanbul
On the other hand, Istanbul saw an unprecedented record in June 2021, with exports of $7.9 billion, which represents about 40% of the $19.8 billion of exports for the whole of Turkey.
Goods manufactured in Turkey’s largest metropolis, from 27 different sectors, were shipped to 214 different countries during June 2021.
Turkey’s exports were mainly to Germany. They amounted to a total of $667.63 million.
Germany was followed by the UK with $534.1 million, the US with $445.4 million, Italy with $382.3 million and Spain with $337.1 million.
Unprecedented volume for the chemical industry
Turkey’s exports in June 2021 reached just under 20 billion dollars with a year-on-year growth of 46.9%, while the chemical industry’s exports showed a better growth (66.6%) to reach a total of 2.37 billion dollars in the same period.
The predominant sector in Turkey’s exports in June was the chemical industry. According to TIM (Turkish Exporters’ Association) statistics, with a 40% increase in the first half of the year, exports in this sector amounted to USD 12 billion.
Turkey’s exports of the shipbuilding industry (ships and yachts), which amounted to 88.4 million dollars in June 2020, increased by 214%, or more than three times, in the same period this year and amounted to 277 million dollars.
The proportion of exports from this sector in Turkey’s total exports was 1.4%.
In the first half of the year, the sector exported $734.4 million, a 46.7% increase over the previous year.
If you would like to read more about business in Turkey please visit our blog.
- Interview: The Affect of Communication Management Consultancy (2)
- Interview: The Affect of Communication Management Consultancy (1)
- Tesla is Hiring in Turkey
- Turkey Ranked First in Gaming Startup Investments
- The Russia-Ukraine War’s Effect on the Global Economy
- Waterless Washing Machine by LG Electronics Inc.
- IKEA is Moving Its Production to Turkey
- Turkish Furniture Industry
- The Chemical Industry in Turkey
- Exports of Automotive and Machinery Increased in Turkey
- The Latest Investments Made in Turkey
- The First Decacorn of Turkey
- 10 Turkish Startups are Becoming Unicorns
- Turkey’s Exports in June 2021
- 110.000 Jobs Created by Renewable Energy Projects in Turkey
- Dream Games Raised $155 Million Investment
- Hepsiburada: The First Turkish Company on Nasdaq
- 7 Technology Giants are Investing in Turkey
- Sinovac Granted the License to Turkey for COVID-19 Vaccine Production
- Joint Investment Opportunities of SOCAR and Turkish Petroleum